Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Weekly link post.

I want to try something new. There are so many great blogs and articles that I encounter each week and I want to share them. So each week I will (try) to share with you the best links I've seen all week.


Yesterday I spent the morning looking at a stack of unread "Look" and "Life" magazines spanning from 1966-1972. Each issue is so entertaining, from the inane letters to the gorgeous photographs, to the ads. True to their time, each issue is packed with cigarette ads and a lot of them are completely hilarious! The alcohol ads can be pretty out there too but I will save those for another post.

Cracked.com (a site I visit daily) has a really funny article all about how bizarre vintage cigarette ads were. 5 insane trends from vintage cigarette ads

While watching Turner Classic Movies one morning I discovered this great vintage blog: Vintage Powder Room

Have you ever read a vintage cookbook or glanced through a women's magazine from the 50s, 60s or 70s and noticed that some of the food looked inedible or some of the recipes are just really bizarre? You are not alone, check out The Mid Century Menu and if you are really brave you can try some recipes on the worst list.


I hope you've enjoyed my first link post. I spent today cleaning some jewelry my Mommom gave to me . Silver polish is a tool that every vintage and antique collector needs in their toolbox.

 A pretty little tarnished bracelet
Many nasty looking coffee filters later

It came out so beautiful

2 comments:

  1. What an elegant, deeply beautiful silver bracelet. It is every bit as timelessly lovely as the day is long. Call me crazy, but I've always liked polishing silver and other metals. The gleaming beauty of the end results makes the elbow grease involved more than worth it.

    ♥ Jessica

    *PS* Thank you very much for your tremendously nice comment on yesterday's vintage outfit post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it fun to polish something that's so tarnished and see the beautiful metal shine through? It was a lot of fun and I wish I could have gotten some better shots of the etching on the front of the bracelet. You are very welcome, you're so confident with your poses!

      Delete