Thursday, January 23, 2014

Obsession with scents.

Hi, I'm Megan and I am a perfume junkie. I love practically every perfume there is with a few small exceptions (I can't stand Poison by Dior, sorry). I love body sprays from Bath and Body Works as well, especially the ones with glitter, everyone loves glitter. 

Vintage clothing is great when the garment comes with a story. Perhaps your Grandmother passed her favorite cocktail dress down to you and she told you all the fantastic things that happened while she was wearing the dress. It turns something many see as just a dress into a dress with a rich history and a bonding tool between two people. Perfume can be the same. Many perfumes that people wear today have been around for over 30 years. My Mother wore Cinnabar in high school and I began to wear it then too, we bonded over perfume. My Mommom wore Chanel number 5 and so do I, when I wore it around her the first time she told me about how Poppop would go out and buy it for her. Scent is a big memory trigger, a whiff of perfume can bring back a flood of memories. Think about the perfume you save for special occasions, one day a whiff of that will bring all those good times.
(Photo via www.esteelauder.com)

Much like what I said about dressing in the post titled Let's Pretend, the right perfume can make your confidence soar. You can be a sophisticated lady one day, and a bombshell the next. The book "The Bombshell Manual of Style" by Lauren Stover dedicates an entire chapter to perfume, listing and describing in detail scents that will bring out your inner bombshell. One perfume on the list is Shalimar by Guerlain. Shalimar is a beautiful powdery scent that has it's own love story attached to it. The perfume is named after a garden built at the Taj Mahal by an Indian emperor that adored his queen. 


Even the bottle is gorgeous!

I like to change my perfumes with the seasons. I wear heavy spicy scents in the fall and winter like Cinnabar, Halston, and Opium. In the spring I break out Red Door by Elizabeth Arden, even Shalimar is light enough for the spring and summer months. I always save my Chanel No. 5 for special occasions, and I'm sure it brings out the confident bombshell in everyone. 

Have you bonded with a family member over perfume? Do you have a treasured scent that your mother or grandmother wore? 

2 comments:

  1. Surprisingly, Poison by Dior is an all-time favorite scent of mine. Wind Song by Matchabelli reminds me of my mom.
    I usually wear Japanese Cherry Blossom daily or Very Sexy by Victoria Secret (depends on my mood)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Japanese Cherry Blossom is one of my favorites! Isn't it great how something simple like a smell can trigger something powerful like a memory?

    ReplyDelete