Monday, December 30, 2013

Why Vintage.

   I went shopping this morning, I had to run to the pet shop to buy cat toys (the kitties always need more toys and I had to buy Ginger a treat container). The pet shop wasn't open when I got there so I popped into the Goodwill. While I was there I found a checkered blue and black skirt and vest set. I can't wait to wear it with one of my sweaters and boots!

A preview of a suit I believe to be from the late 60s or early 70s. 


     At the checkout counter I started talking to the sales clerk and she told me that she frequently sees me in the shop. I explained what I was there for and she then proceeded to ask me a lot of questions. When I say I am a vintage collector I think people tend to get the wrong impression, but I don't know what else to call myself. The sales girl asked me if I wore my collection as well and I said "Of course I do", what else would it be good for? She then proceeded to ask me why vintage, and I did not have a concise answer for her. After thinking about it for awhile I began to ask myself, why vintage and I still did not have a concise answer. I like vintage for myriad reasons.

      First of all, lets talk about the feel of the garment. As a person that has tried a lot of different trendy fashions, there is nothing that beats the feel of a vintage garment. When I say vintage I refer to a garment that was made before the 70s. Even the 80s are considered vintage today since the term vintage refers to anything 20 years or older (antique refers to things 100 years and older). However, I enjoy the fashions from the 1910s until the 1970s. Anyway, the construction of these garments can not be matched by any modern counterpart. These clothes with the proper care can hold up for years which is something that can not be said about something from a fast fashion shop like 'Forever 21'. It is one thing to buy trendy pieces as a teenager but as an adult you want to invest your money in pieces that will not only look good but will hold up.

Secondly, vintage styles make me feel proud to step out in public. I really don't know how else to put this but I feel like utter crap when I go out in public in a pair of sweatpants and a t shirt. In the past most people would never ever even think to step out of the house in less than their best. Take some pride in yourselves! This does not mean you have to dress like a school marm every day, just cultivate your own look and take pride in it!

Thirdly and most importantly, you are an ambassador to the past when preserving the looks of days gone by. As a child I preferred to spend most of my free time with my grandparents instead of people my own age. I thought and still think of them as some of the neatest people to hang out with! Without sounding like I'm on a soapbox, I would like to say that a lot of people in my age group and a lot of people in my 17 year old sister's age group don't have a lot of respect for their elders or for the past and that is such a shame. You can't dismiss everything before you just because it's older than you. I've learned a lot from my grandparents, especially an appreciation for the past and that includes the fashions. Sometimes a on outfit I'm wearing begins a conversation between me and someone older about their past. A piece of clothing can spark a conversation that can teach you something.

Readers, why do you love vintage? It's okay if you don't have just one reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment