Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Tuesday tunes: Bobby Darin songs that should be hits.

Here's a Tuesday music post for you. I'm thinking of making this a regular Tuesday thing.

When most people think of Bobby Darin's music they automatically think of his hits, Mack the Knife, Beyond the Sea and Splish Splash. These people are seriously missing out as there are so many songs that people don't even know about! Now, this is all from my perspective based on my experiences and observations. I was born in 1990 and sadly wasn't around when Mr. Darin was alive and all of my knowledge comes from books I've read and interviews I've watched. The following are all songs that I think should be wildly popular but aren't.


Average People from the album Bobby Darin (1972)


This is from his penultimate album and sadly a lot of the albums from midway to the end of his career are largely ignored by the general public and they're missing a lot of great music. This particular song illustrates how couples drift apart. The first verse alone paints a picture many couples can relate to

  I sit before the TV screen
            Silently starin' into space
            While you re-read your magazines
            And the bottom is painted
            All over our faces.
"Average People" is a beautifully written song about such a sad subject. It's thought provoking in a way that may make you think about your own relationship. The song also describes how a relationship can change after marriage. 

Let It Be Me from the album Bobby Darin (1972)
This is a cover and all of the versions I've heard before this one were so white bread. His voice is so entrancing in this song and it has so much soul. Jeremy and I plan to use this song when we get married. 

My Baby Needs Me from the album Inside Out and Songs from Big Sur

I couldn't find a video of this one but "Songs from Big Sur" is on iTunes and you can listen to this song there. If you haven't heard it you are missing out, it is good! It could be something from Motown and it just makes you feel so good despite the fact that the relationship depicted in the song might not be the healthiest. 

Questions from the album Born Walden Robert Cassotto

I like that a lot of materiel from later in his career was very thought provoking and musically beautiful. This song asks many "questions" about environmental issues while still being a very catchy tune. 

Happy from the album Darin 1936-1973


From what I've read, this is the last song that Bobby Darin recorded. He was very ill at the time and I can sense something in his voice. He sang this song beautifully, like I said before the man could emote!

Route 58 from the album Songs from Big Sur

I couldn't find a video of this song either but it is on iTunes so go and listen now! The lyrics are fantastic and it's a great song to drive to. 


Now there is so much more I could have listed here but I'm hoping that if you like the songs then you'll explore on your own. I really don't understand why a lot of these songs aren't mega hits or at the least more widely recognized by people who aren't hardcore fans. I think it's great when a band or an artist explores a lot of musical genres (and does it well) and that's why I mainly listen to Bobby Darin and The Clash (my next topic for a music post). I do listen to a lot of other things but I like that I have two "one stop shops" for music so to speak. 

No comments:

Post a Comment